Author Topic: Bandwidth Restriction On Brand New Computer  (Read 1419 times)

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
Bandwidth Restriction On Brand New Computer
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
So the internet guy came out. I had never considered that maybe the new computer was the problem. I hooked my laptop up to the same modem, same ethernet cord, etc. as my new computer. At speedtest.net, my 5 year old laptop has a download speed of 8.5Mbps and the brand new desktop has a download speed of 0.31Mbps. Anyone have any clue how I could fix this problem?
Formerly......Chewcocca

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
Re: Bandwidth Restriction On Brand New Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »
Just re-installed the Ethernet driver, that didn't change anything :(
Formerly......Chewcocca

Grimrod

• Kotor Officer
    • Lemon Computers
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:39:03 PM »
Try changing the speed from auto to 100 Mbps Full duplex. Go to the device manager. Go to the nic. Go to properties. Click the advanced tab. Scroll down to speed & duplex. Change the value in the drop down window.

shadowkb

• Kotor Officer
  • Kill it before it breeds!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:10:43 AM »
I want to say you bought a Dell or some other big box brand?  First option is to wipe the sucker clean and do a fresh windows install.  I always recommend this for new computers that came pre-loaded with anything.  Failing that, try this program.  I have our customers use it all the time, it works wonders when someone has screwed up your settings, and you don't know what they did or how to fix it.  It's very easy to use, you just tell it what speed you should have, click a button to "optimize", and you're basically done.  Not like you could make it any worse...

SG TCP Optimizer
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Nurf - Sniper
Camo - Assassin
Trouble - Republic Scoundrel

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »
Thanks guys. Changing to 100Mbps full duplex didn't change anything :( I will try the other two options now. I appreciate your help.
Formerly......Chewcocca

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
Shit. I reinstalled windows, that didn't help. I used that program to optimize my settings, no dice :( Any other suggestions? Maybe I should try bying a new Ethernet port?
Formerly......Chewcocca

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
I'm also kind of wondering why my upload speed would be double what my download speed is? My upload speed is about what it should be, and my download speed is 3% what it should be.
Formerly......Chewcocca

Grimrod

• Kotor Officer
    • Lemon Computers
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »
Putting another network card in would defiantly tell you whether its is hardware or software related. Seeing how you wiped the machine and tried Shadows program, replacing the nic would be next.

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »
My modem has a usb port in it. I might try that out before I buy a new network card. Not that it would be a permanent solution since I won't be able to use my router for other computers.
Formerly......Chewcocca