Author Topic: Buying a new computer, again  (Read 2453 times)

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
Buying a new computer, again
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
So i decided to send that computer back to amazon. I'm thinking about this one, although the price on it just went up 50 bucks since I looked at it earlier today. It was 599 now it is 649. Any thoughts?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddwjx67&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=inspiron-620
Formerly......Chewcocca

Durik

• Kotor Officer
Re: Buying a new computer, again
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »
why not build one? I highly recommend it over any premade thing, it isn't too difficult to do

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
I don't know, people in my office told me it doesn't save you that much money, if any. What's the point if it doesn't save you at least a hundred bucks?
Formerly......Chewcocca

Durik

• Kotor Officer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:15:48 AM »
performance per $ it'll make a huge difference
for example that desktop has an nvidia 530 in it, its barely above integrated graphics.

For the same price you can get this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html

as an example, spending the same cash while getting a better cpu, more hard drive space and a much better graphics card.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+530

example of that card's rating vs what you can get in the Dell.

cpu wise it isn't  much of a difference but you would see a serious bottleneck on that video card.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2320+%40+3.00GHz

Never undersestimate the difference of a decent motherboard over a crappy one either, the  boards OEMs use tend to be cost-cutting for a reason, same with the power supply.

It basically boils down to what you want your machine to do, what kind of performance you want and expect for the money you are throwing down and what kind of life expectancy you want from your components, and upgradability.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+8800+GTS+512  this is the card I bought in 2007 and it is scoring higher than the card in that rig

Timone

• Administrator
  • Flick Your Bic!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:27:44 AM »
I have built several in the past few years and I have always come out way ahead cash wise.  You just have to shop around for the parts you want, and that are all compatible.

But while we are on the topic, the wife is looking at getting a new laptop.  What would be a decent one that would play tor?  Any help would be great, besides I know I can always count on the guild.  Thanks everyone.
Timmy
Misophia - BH Merc; Timone - Maruader
Miso - SI; Miya - Jugg, Miyya - Op

Durik

• Kotor Officer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
The one I want to buy Kirial is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230214
grant it thats out of stock, but yeah. There is this version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230174 with a slightly lesser videocard but would still probably run it well

Timone

• Administrator
  • Flick Your Bic!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »
Thanks Durik, I will have to keep an eye on that.
Timmy
Misophia - BH Merc; Timone - Maruader
Miso - SI; Miya - Jugg, Miyya - Op

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »
I know this will make me sound like a super noob, but how important is the graphics card? I played all day yesterday on my laptop from work. It's a really good computer, but it has Intel HD integrated graphics. It ran the game very well actually.
Formerly......Chewcocca

Jhen

• Kotor Member
  • formerly Boushh
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »
Graphics card is pretty darn important, but I've found this game to be far more processor and memory heavy.

aka Boushh (SWG) / vi3tmix (BF3/Steam) / Kashim (Sniper)

Durik

• Kotor Officer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »
Graphics card is pretty darn important, but I've found this game to be far more processor and memory heavy.

I will back that, for a lot of games Graphics card is going to make the difference in performance, in this game I went from an older setup with a dual core 3.0 amd proc and 3gb or ram to my intel i5-2500k w/ 8gb and saw a huge performance boost.

Alot of the time Graphics card will be the difference between running a game and running it with max settings, so if you're getting something purely for TOR and plan on playing nothing else you may be fine on that kinda setup, I don't own any consoles so I'm more concerned about my hardware. Hopefully replacing that 8800GTS finally next month.

Bale Klocoon

• Kotor Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 07:29:23 AM »
One of my friends in grad school said he will help me find a pre-built tower for 800 or less that has a decent motherboard. That way I can upgrade it later if I want. I'm just afraid to build my own honestly. With my luck I'd do something wrong and fry everything and be out of 800 bucks.
Formerly......Chewcocca

roeco nemotep

• Administrator
  • This is my rifle, this is my gun.....
    • KOTOR
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
One of my friends in grad school said he will help me find a pre-built tower for 800 or less that has a decent motherboard. That way I can upgrade it later if I want. I'm just afraid to build my own honestly. With my luck I'd do something wrong and fry everything and be out of 800 bucks.

From knowing him personally...his chances of doing this are 1000%
Roeco Nemotep
High Councilman

<---reserves the right to ban anyone at any time....*glares*
Bringing the K and cantina to you!

amos trask

• Kotor Member
  • calling in commando kitty
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
as long as its not over 9000%

I make a furious cup of cat